What is your name? Do you know what it means? Mine happens to mean “perfect”…which is, of course, laughable unless I consider that Jesus my Savior is Jehovah Tsidkenu, “the Lord, our righteousness.”
Great emphasis used to be placed on the meaning of names generations ago. A person was named for another revered individual, for a character quality, for a person or event in scripture that was significant. Now, it seems people choose quirky, “hip” names, regardless of meaning (if there is one)…or if the name is a common one, it must be spelled distinctively and be the bane of that poor kid’s existence.
I came across this quote, which made me stop and ponder some names this morning.
IN OLD TESTAMENT DAYS, Jews sometimes referred to God as “the Name.” So greatly did they revere His personal name, Jehovah, that they would not even dare to utter it. Just “the Name.” That’s because God’s name carries the weight of His entire character and attributes. Just as our names stand for who we are, God’s name stands for who He is.
DeMoss, Nancy Leigh (2012-08-24). The Quiet Place: Daily Devotional Readings (Kindle Locations 6939-6942). Moody Publishers. Kindle Edition.
What peace there is in doing a study in the names of God. To know what the stand for. After all, how can you easily trust someone you do not know? Especially when life is overflowing with the inexplicable?
And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee. Psalm 9:10
What confidence there is in understanding:
- The name of God is El Elyon – Most High God (Sovereign Over All)
- The name of God is Adonai – My Lord, My Master
- The name of God is El Roi – God Who Sees
- The name of God is El Shaddai – God Almighty
- The name of God is Jehovah Ezer – The LORD our Helper
- The name of God is Jehovah Jireh – The LORD Will Provide
- The name of God is Jehovah Rapha – The LORD our Healer
- The name of God is Jehovah Roi – The Lord who Sees
- The name of God is Jehovah Sabaoth – LORD of hosts
- The name of God is Jehovah Mekeddeshem – LORD Who Sanctifies
- The name of God is Jehovah Nissi -The LORD Our Banner
- The name of God is Jehovah Rapha – LORD Who Heals
- The name of God is Jehovah Shalom
- The name of God is Jehovah Shammah – The LORD is There
The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe. Prov. 18:10
We are studying the names of God in Isaiah 9:6 in Jr Church this month. What a blessing! I’d encourage you perhaps to begin your study of His names here as well.
If you’d like a link to a thorough study on this subject, please click here.