As we hear the presidential debates, undoubtedly the subject of the war in Iraq will be a primary topic. Beyond all the political ramifications and opinions, are you still prayerful for the men and women serving there? The yellow ribbons that festooned many homes, businesses, trees and telephone poles are faded and weather-beaten, or have been removed altogether. Be inspired by the dedication of these soldiers, and, take it one step further. Look with me at our own soldierhood today.
Being in the armed forces was not something considered to be “feminine” years ago; but in our generation enlistment of female soldiers has increased by 50%. By contrast, we ladies of the Lord’s army have been in the ranks for a very long time. Consider the ideas below, and determine today if you are ready for the front lines:
A Soldier of the Cross
“Be All That You Can Be“-I Cor. 10:31
1) She is a “veteran”.
a) Def. “A person who is experienced in a certain area”
- She knows what it means to be delivered from the power of the foe by the Captain of her salvation. (Rom. 7:6; Heb. 2:10b)
- She continually exercises her faith to overcome all forces opposed to God. (I John 5:4)
b) Def. “Rendered competent through trial and experience”
- Believers shall have testings to prove them.
- John 16:33 “…in the world ye shall have tribulation”
- Mt. 10:16-24 Jesus’ followers told to expect persecution
- Trials are purposeful for the spiritual warrior.
2) She is trained.
- Ps. 18:32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
- Jer. 17:5 – Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.
- Ps. 18:34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.
- Ps. 27:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
- II Tim.2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.
- Because there is no “cease fire” in spiritual warfare. (I Pet. 5:8)
- II Tim. 2:21 – If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
- I Cor. 9:25, 27 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
- I Cor. 6;19,20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
3) She is a fighter
a) Soldiers are hired to fight, paid to fight, relied upon to fight!
b) I Tim. 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
c) If a soldier is fearful and will not fight, he is relieved of duty (Deut. 20:8)-cowardice is a criminal offense under U.S. military law, punishable by death (in time of war) or incarceration and dishonorable discharge.
4) She follows commands.
a) Joh 15:10 –If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.
b) Ps 119:106 – I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
5) She knows her weapon.
a) What it is-the Word of God (Eph. 6:17)
b) Its nature-II Cor. 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
c) How to use it
- 2 Ti 2:15 – Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- Ps. 119:9-11 Memorization
6) She knows her enemies.
a) The world-the system around us that is opposed to God, and caters to the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (I John 2:15-17)
b) The flesh-our old nature that is opposed to God and can do nothing spiritual to please God. (Eph. 2:1-3)
c) The devil-God’s adversary and enemy, and ours also! Satan also employs his own forces against us, as well as using the world and our flesh to his advantage. (II Cor. 2:11)